Langlade Hospital is a Joint-Commission accredited, 25-bed non-profit, Catholic Hospital owned by the Religious Hospitallers of St. Joseph. The Hospital was dedicated as a memorial to the servicemen from Langlade County who sacrificed their lives during World War I.
It welcomed its first patients on March 21, 1933. The origins of the Religious Hospitallers of St. Joseph can be traced to one layman, Jerome LeRoyer de la Dauversiere, who founded the order in La Fleche, France in 1636. With the aid of Jeanne Mance and Paul de Chomedey de Maisonneauve, Jerome colonized the island of Montreal in 1642 and established a hospital. The Religious Hospitallers of St. Joseph (RHSJ) Sisters arrived in 1659, and the Congregation grew, to bring care far beyond the confines of the Island of Montreal. Jerome planted the seed that today is a network of 55 RHSJ hospitals and nursing homes providing care in the United States, Canada, Africa, Peru and the Dominican Republic.
In order to meet the increasing health demands of the community and surrounding area, a new addition to the hospital was completed in 1954. Additional space was added in 1978 to house enlarged ancillary departments such as surgery, radiology, and outpatient services. In February 1993, a new medical clinic was built adjacent to the hospital. In 2003, Langlade Memorial Hospital completed a $12.4 million dollar renovation and expansion project - the largest ever in the history of the hospital. Called "A Vision for a Health Future," the project included the construction of a 30,000 square foot medical office building (named the St. Joseph's Outpatient
Center), surgical center, skywalk, and renovations to several hospital departments. The new state-of-the-art facilities allow Langlade Hospital to meet the area's growing medical needs and enhance its commitment to community service and education. In June of 2007 ground was broken for the construction of a new radiation oncology clinic on the campus of the St. Joseph's Outpatient Center.
In keeping with our Philosophy and Mission, Langlade Hospital focuses on patient and family-centered care. Our medical staff consists of family practitioners, general internists, general surgeons, radiologists and orthopedic surgeons. Our staff is complemented by pathology, radiology, urology, cardiology, neurology, nephrology, ophthalmology, audiology, allergy, vascular surgery and oncology consulting specialists. We have an affiliation with more than 70
primary and specialty care physicians and other healthcare providers.
Langlade Memorial Hospital Milestones
- 1927 - Articles of Organization of Langlade County Hospital Association are filed with the state of Wisconsin.
- 1929 - The site for the new hospital in Antigo is purchased; a fundraising campaign is organized; and a Board of Directors is formed.
- 1930 - Langlade County Hospital is constructed by Antigo businessmen with help from a $170,000 grant from Langlade County. The Great Depression prohibits the equipping, staffing and opening of the facility.
- 1933 - Sister Ann MacIntosh becomes the first administrator of Langlade County Memorial Hospital.
- Governor Schmedeman joins an audience of 4,999 in dedicating the new Hospital to the memory of area citizens who lost their lives in WWI.
- The Hospital Auxiliary is organized; women of all faiths band together to help prepare the Hospital for occupancy.
- First patient is admitted on April 2 and on April 5 the first surgery is performed.
- 1952 - Ground breaking for a new addition.The estimated cost, including equipment, is $551,350.00. Forty-five per cent of the cost is paid by a grant from the Federal Government. The local community and the Sisters contribute $125,000.00; the balance is raised from public donations and a mortgage.
- 1958 - Langlade County Memorial Hospital celebrates 25 years of service to the community.
- 1963 - Sister Dolores Demulling arrives as Director of Nursing and OB Supervisor.
- 1970 - New Emergency Room and Outpatient department open.
- 1972 - Transition in governance from the Sisters' Governing Board to a Board to Trustees.
- 1977 - Groundbreaking Ceremony for $3.5 million dollar expansion project.
- 1979 - Dedication Ceremony for new addition.
- Langlade County Memorial Hospital and The Community Health Foundation, Inc. is established.
- 1983 - The Hospital celebrates its Golden Jubilee and is renamed Langlade Memorial Hospital.
- 1989 - LeRoyer Child Care opens.
- 1990 - Special Care Unit and Obstetrical Units are renovated; MRI and CT scans are added; Ultrasound and Cardiac Rehab Services are established; new Birthing Center is unveiled.
- 1991 - New 8 bed Ambulatory Care Unit and Day Surgery opens.
- LeRoyer Hospice Program begins.
- 1992 - Adult Day Center opens.
- 1993 - Heliport is constructed.
- General Clinic is constructed adjacent to Langlade Memorial Hospital and opens to the public.
- Pine Meadow Congregate Housing offers independent living in a community setting for older adults (50+) who are independent but choose not to maintain their own home.
- 1995 - Pain Clinic is established.
- LeRoyer Memorial Walkway is created.
- 1997 - Orthopedic Clinic opens.
- Horizon Adult Day Center becomes a reality.
- 1998 - Rosalia Garden groundbreaking.
- 2001 - Groundbreaking ceremony for new project, largest in Hospital's history at a cost of $12.4 million.
- 2002 - St. Joseph's Outpatient Center opens.
- Langlade Memorial Hospital sets up Neurology Clinic.
- 2003 - Langlade Memorial Hospital Radiology Department replaces its mobile MRI with a fixed unit – the first of its kind in the state of Wisconsin.
- 2007 - Langlade Memorial Hospital and The Community Health Foundation launch the Hope and Healing Closer to Home Campaign for the creation of the
- Radiation Care Center.
The healthcare needs of the more than 26,000 people served by Langlade Hospital continue to grow.The availability of excellent healthcare services continues to be a critical factor in our local quality of life. Indeed, the mission of the Sisters and the Hospital has been strengthened by their work for more than seven decades.