Religious Hospitallers of St. Joseph
Langlade Hospital is a Catholic Hospital sponsored by the Religious Hospitallers of St. Joseph and affiliated with Aspirus.
History of the Religious Hospitallers
First hospital in Old Montreal (1644)
The Sisters founded hospitals for the service of the "sick poor", but they were also concerned about other categories of poor, including the elderly and orphans.
- First Hotel Dieu constructed on the corner of the present Saint Paul and Saint Sulpice streets. The enlarged Hotel Dieu, rebuilt after three major fires, would be the only hospital in Montreal until 1822; at this time it had 31 beds.
- 1894 Sisters go to Vermont and their first hospital in the United States
Other hospitals/missions include:
- St. Catherines, Ontario
- Cornwall, Quebec
- Chicago, Illinois
- Hartford & New London, Wisconsin
- Polson, Montana; Western Africa
- The Dominican Republic
When the doctors and businessmen in Antigo, Wisconsin, some 75 miles north of New London, WI, heard of the quality health care given to the residents in New London, they invited our sisters from Chatham, N.B. to administer their hospital in Antigo. In March 1933 three Religious Hospitallers from Chatham, N.B.: Sisters MacIntosh, Martin and Rideout, with the permission of Bishop Paul Rhode, Green Bay, began their new ministry in Antigo in to the Langlade County Memorial Hospital.
During the Great Depression
Antigo Community Hospital 1911-1920
- 1929 Antigo Community finishes a new hospital started in 1927. It sits empty because of an $18,000 debt and no money to equip it.
- 1933 Sisters open the Hospital in April of this year. They paid off the debt with help from the Green Bay diocese and issued a bond in the amount of $60,000.00 to equip the Langlade County Memorial Hospital Hotel Dieu of St. Joseph of Antigo, Wisconsin, Inc.
Langlade Hospital Board of Trustees (2011)
- Mike Turney, Chair
- Mike Winter, Vice-chair
- Sister Dolores Demulling, RHSJ, Secretary/Treasurer
- Sister Jean Bricco, RHSJ
- Noel Deep, MD
- James Moermond, MD
- Kristine Flowers, MD
- Charles Heuess, MD
- Joe Sveda
- Joe Jopek
- Thomas Bradley
- Sid Sczygelski
- Dean Danner
- Scott Garvet
- Lynne Henricks
- Richard Higley
- Dawn Ofsthun